Senior Network Engineer
Senior Network Engineer
Requisition Number S1708P
Responsible for providing advanced design, implementation, operation, and escalation level support of Auburn University’s wired and wireless enterprise network. The enterprise data network consists of a Cisco wired network, Aruba wireless network, data centers, and multiple WANs. The position will join the network team in taking ownership of all aspects of the enterprise network. The position requires working in a team environment, including cross-functional activities to creatively solve complex problems and deploy new network designs to support the University’s strategic plan.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts and more! Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
- Management of the enterprise network infrastructure, including core, data center, and edge routers, switches, and management platforms for those systems
- Strategic planning and implementation of major network changes during approved after-hours maintenance windows, supporting the integration of educational, administrative, and research applications
- Leading network projects, providing expert knowledge and professional application of IT principles, practices, and techniques following industry standards and University policy
- Keep the performance of the enterprise network optimal and secure, perform upgrades and patching, and monitor relevant network thresholds, capacity, latency, and adjust configurations to optimize traffic flow
- Document internal processes and procedures related to duties and responsibilities
- Interaction and management of Internet Service Provider and 3rd party vendors for escalations on hardware and software
- Exceptional ability to research and troubleshoot technology problems specifically focused on networking
- Provide technical leadership and guidance around network best practices
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- No specific discipline.
- 4 Years of Experience
- Relevant network architecture, hardware and software experience.
Typical salaries for Level V are between $64,000 and $75,000.
- Level VI requires 7 years of relevant network architecture, hardware and software experience. Typical salaries for Specialist VI are between $73,000 and $85,000
- Advanced knowledge of network architecture, network hardware, and network protocols
- Senior-level skill and ability to configure, deploy, and troubleshoot advanced routing and switching technologies
- The successful candidate will be a highly self-motivated person who can perform with minimal supervision and possesses exceptional ingenuity
- Display excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with both highly technical and non-technical audiences
- Extensive experience with Internet services and applications within the IP suite (DHCP, DNS, etc.)
- The position will require in-depth practical knowledge of the tools, techniques, and procedures used in modern network operations
- Participates in on-call rotations to provide network engineering support
- May be required to lift in upwards of 50 pounds
- Advanced experience and certification in Cisco Networking solutions are highly desirable
- Expert knowledge of BGP, OSPF, SD-WAN, SD-ACCESS, VXLAN-EVPN, and VRF
- Experience with Cisco Nexus (NX-OS), Cisco Catalyst (IOS-XE)
- Experience with Cisco ISE
- Experience with Linux
- Working knowledge of Aruba wireless architectures
- Network programmability and automation tools (Python, Ansible, GitHub, Cisco DNA Center, Cisco ACI, etc.)
- A passion for teamwork and ability to work in a flexible environment that embraces rapid change, emphasizes continuous learning, and attacks new challenges
Salary Range $51,900 - $99,600
Link for postings https://www.auemployment.com/postings/29835
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.