Visiting Assistant College Lecturer School of Film and Media Arts
Cleveland State University
Visiting Assistant College Lecturer
School of Film and Media Arts
The School of Film and Media Arts at Cleveland State University seeks applications for a Visiting Assistant Lecturer in Film & Media Arts – Cinematography, starting August 21, 2023. CSU is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. CSU is striving to be a nationally recognized and student-focused public research institution that provides accessible, affordable, and Engaged Learning opportunities for all.
This position will teach four courses per semester and engage in service duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have professional experience in cinematography and lighting design for film, video, and media arts. Current and fluent knowledge of advanced processes and techniques in professional high-definition video formats, and significant experience with digital tools, techniques, and workflows are essential. Candidates should be able to teach a broad variety of film and media arts courses, particularly beginning and advanced cinematography, as well as beginning, intermediate and advanced film production classes.
Located on the top floor of the Idea Center building in downtown Cleveland’s Playhouse Square, the School of Film & Media Arts has a 72 credit BFA program focusing on the creation of original work with six tracks: Writing and Directing, Writing and Producing, Acting and Directing, Cinematography, Post-Production and Interactive Media. The state-of-the-art 36,000 square foot facility includes two sound stages with 10K LED lighting instruments, a 10gb network with Avid Nexis media server, iMac teaching labs, a well-equipped equipment cage with 4K acquisition, and spectacular views of the city and Lake Erie.
- Master’s degree in film or related field
- Two years of professional experience with camera or film lighting departments;
- Ability to contribute to the film school through teaching and/or service, cultural inclusion, and excellence to the CSU community.
- Terminal degree (MFA or Ph.D.) in a relevant field;
- Evidence of two years of experience as a Director of Photography in a professional environment;
- Successful teaching experience at the university level;
- Evidence of knowledge and ability to apply set etiquette and production workflow;
- National/international narrative film cinematography credits;
- Two years of direct experience with Sony camera systems, with proficiency when shooting in sLog;
- Two years of direct experience working with traditional grip or electric equipment;
- Demonstrable experience producing a film, from inception through distribution.
Applications will be exclusively accepted online at https://hrjobs.csuohio.edu/postings/18930. Mailed or emailed application materials will not be accepted. Questions should be directed to James Joyce, Search Committee Chair, School of Film & Media Arts – email@example.com.
Preference will be given to complete application submitted before February 23, 2023. Finalists will be interviewed through video conference and/or campus visit. Candidates must be able to work in the United States on or before July 1, 2023.
Applicants are invited to submit:
- Cover letter
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae (Including client list, if possible)
- Samples of Professional Work – Production list/exhibition record with links to viewable work (including reel, if possible)
- Teaching Philosophy
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Diversity Statement
- Teaching Statement – Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Complete contact information for three references (including name, organizational affiliation, address, e-mail address, and telephone number)
Cleveland State University is an urban campus serving a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student body. Diversity is extremely important to CSU. Explain your experience serving diverse students and how you will make a positive contribution to CSU’s inclusive community. For applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience, note how your work will contribute to CSU’s commitment to diversity and mission as an urban serving university.
Note: the successful candidate is required to submit an official transcript before their contract can be prepared.
CSU is an urban university with more than 15,000 students located in the heart of Cleveland, OH. According to the Brookings Institution, CSU is No. 18 in the U.S. among public universities that fulfill a critical dual mission: providing upward mobility and conducting impactful research. CSU is the only Ohio university in the top tier of the Brookings list. For additional information about the city of Cleveland, see https://www.thisiscleveland.com/”.
Hire is contingent upon the maintenance of existing levels of funding from the State of Ohio. Offer of employment is contingent on satisfactory completion of the University’s verification of credentials (including evidence of a Ph.D.) and other information required by law and/or University policies or practices, including but not limited to a criminal background check.
It is the policy of Cleveland State University to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran, or genetic information.