Network EngineerEmporia State University
The Network Engineer is responsible for the overall design and configuration of the data network systems at Emporia State University to ensure the stable operation of all IT assets. The Network Engineer is responsible for ensuring the optimization of all new and existing network hardware, software, and communication links. Incumbent will help create an environment that ensures the stability and integrity of in-house data, video, and wireless network services. Incumbent will also troubleshoot network performance issues, provide training and guidance to other technical staff within IT, as well as analyze network traffic and provide capacity planning solutions.
This position is a member of the Infrastructure team. The Network Engineer is a key representative when participating in any team project utilizing critical thinking and problem solving to meet team goals and information security compliance. At times, this position may need to perform job duties outside of regular business hours including but not limited to maintenance, repair, or installation of equipment or software, and responding to unexpected outages.
Position Duties, Responsibilities, and Competencies:
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with technical team members to assess near and long term network capacity needs and design/implement strategic plans to ensure network capacity meets existing and future needs
- Lead the continual development of both near and long term network planning, including the development of presentation of solutions of executive management
- Review and assess feasibility of new and existing IT projects as it related to university network systems
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, mapping, and processes
- Practice asset management including network component inventory and related documentation
- Conduct testing and development of disaster recovery plans to detect faults, minimize malfunctions and backup systems as it relates to network functionality.
- Determine and document telecommunications and network design, and layout including protocols and standards used, as well as configuration.
- Conduct research, and review technical publications, of network and telecommunication products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of industry trends in support of bringing value to University IT procurement and development efforts.
- Utilize project management methodologies to plan and implement improvements, modifications, or replacements of network or telecommunications components.
- Where necessary, liaise with equipment vendors during installations or for hardware performance issues.
- Receive, prioritize, and respond to incoming work orders, calls, and/or emails regarding equipment and/or connectivity problems.
- Accurately document instances of software or hardware failure, repair, installation, and removal or other work requests.
- Manage and ensure optimal operation of all network and telecommunication hardware and equipment.
- Configure network and telecommunication systems to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling organizational objectives and processes.
- Monitor network and telecommunication performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed to identify and correct performance bottlenecks.
- Ensure connectivity of all services, workstations, telephony equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex network and telecommunication problems for a variety of end-users, recommend and implement corrective solutions.
- Participate in management of network security solutions.
- High school diploma, or equivalent, with 8+ years of experience as Network Engineer or equivalent.
- Associate’s degree in relevant field, with 4+ years of experience as Network Engineer or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, with 2+ years of experience as Network Engineer or equivalent.
- Industry standard certifications such as: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, CWNA, CWSP may substitute for 2 years work experience each up to 4 years.
- Experience configuring and maintaining Cisco network equipment
- Project management coursework or experience.
- Significant coursework or work experience configuring and managing network infrastructure.
Preferred Personal Attributes:
- Ability to present ideas in a business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Maintain a positive attitude, good morale, and cooperation promoting teamwork partnering with other IT team members.
- Strong communication skills to communicate with different people at different technical levels throughout the university.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong work ethic (e.g., dependable, professional) and proven ability to work in an environment involving tasks that require strict confidentiality.
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any factors that cannot be considered by law.