MAINFRAME SYSTEMS MANAGER
FINANCIAL INFO SVCS AGENCY
Job Posting Notice
Job ID: 560443
Business Title: MAINFRAME SYSTEMS MANAGER
Civil Service Title: IT INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER
Title Classification: Non-Competitive
Job Category: Technology, Data & Innovation
Career Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Work Location: 5 Manhattan West
Division/Work Unit: Ops/SS Technical Services
# of Positions: 1
Title Code No: 95714
Proposed Salary Range: $170,000.00 (Annual)
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
The Financial Information Services Agency and the Office of Payroll Administration (FISA-OPA) are seeking a highly motivated and seasoned manager to oversee the mainframe systems within the Shared Systems Division. This is a leadership role for the Mainframe Systems team and we require an individual to oversee the day-to-day operations of the group. The team is responsible for the IBM mainframe computer system, program products, subsystems and storage. The candidate will manage task assignment, and performance management, setting team and individual goals. The candidate will be expected to provide off-hours coverage for scheduled upgrades and participate, as necessary, in troubleshooting critical production incidents with 24/7 availability.
- Ensure that the Mainframe team works together as a team and also within the enterprise to ensure that the systems remain available according to the SLA.
- Provide a leadership role in z/OS administration, performance management, hardware configuration, and implementation of mainframe technologies and DR solution for the agency.
- Oversee the daily operations and ensure that it is monitored and issues are escalated.
- Serve as a lead for matters related to disaster recovery.
- Research and implement strategic solutions related to mainframe systems.
- Ensure that FISA-OPA department technical policies are followed
PERFORMANCE, MONITORING, AND CAPACITY PLANNING:
- Analyze performance and capacity data.
- Perform daily, monthly and yearly performance and capacity planning for the mainframe systems.
- Run projects related to hardware and software upgrades.
- Develop and manage project plans. Lead and mentor the Mainframe team to complete the project according to the timeline for large and small initiatives.
SOFTWARE VERSION MANAGEMENT:
- Keep track of new releases and maintenance of mainframe software.
- Work with the Mainframe team to stay current on all software.
- Work with vendors to build and develop relationships.
- Act as a liaison to software and hardware vendors for capacity planning.
- Stay acquainted with new emerging technologies related to the mainframe.
- Responsible for matching current technology with the need of the agency. Evaluate and implement new technologies as needed.
- Write and manage all documentation and procedures related to mainframe systems
- Work with the Operations team to ensure that the proper procedural documents are accurate and current
- Within the City and FISA's budget and planning cycle, produce a plan that lays out the cost over time for hardware and software purchase/upgrades as necessitated by: end-of-life for hardware, new business requirements, end of support for software, capacity/growth, consolidation initiatives for cost reduction, etc.
Minimum Qual Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering or a related field and four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to datacenter engineering and operations, cloud engineering and operations, complex IT infrastructure engineering; or,
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience related to datacenter engineering and operations, cloud engineering and operations, complex IT infrastructure engineering; or,
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above.
- 20+ years of experience working as an infrastructure manager in a large-scale environment.
- Experience with mainframe systems technologies, subsystems, and internals. If the candidate does not have experience with mainframe systems technologies, we will also accept strong experience in AIX/Linux/Unix systems.
- Strong understanding of IBM mainframe z/OS operating system, control, structure, logic, and security. If the candidate does not have experience with the mainframe platform, we will also accept infrastructure management of AlX/Linux/Unix systems with enterprise storage systems.
- Must be self-motivated, able to find answers on his/her own, and experienced in problem determination/analysis/resolution.
- Ability to work well and communicate with other departments, agencies, and technical support staff - including the ability to document and explains problems.
- Ability to complete team projects by coordinating team resources and working with other departments and the data center.
- Ability to plan, manage time according to schedules, and provide status updates required.
- Ability to work with staff to quickly learn new technologies and resolve issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written).
The City of New York offers a comprehensive set of benefits and programs to employees, including health insurance, pension plan, Deferred Compensation Plan (with 457, 401K and Roth IRA options), pre-tax Commuter Benefit program, pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts programs and more. Additional benefits such as prescription drug coverage, dental benefits, vision care benefits and more are also available through District Council 37 – Local 2627, the union that represents employees in this title
External applicants please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/ to apply to Job ID # 560443. Current NYC employees may apply via Employee Self Service (ESS). While all complete applications will be given consideration, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by FISA-OPA.
35 hours Weekly/Day.
New York City Residency is not required for this position.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.