Chief Information Officer
The work we do in the Secretary of State’s office affects Minnesotans in all 87 counties, whether that's ensuring our election system is fair, open, impartial, and secure; making it as easy as possible for Minnesotans to set up and run their businesses; or helping protect victims of domestic violence and others who fear for their safety.
Job Class: Information Systems Director
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 08/27/2022
- Closing Date: 09/12/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Secretary of State / Sec of State-Managerial
- Division/Unit: Secretary of State 22 / Office of Secretary of State
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $54.12 - $77.47/hourly; $113,002 - $161,757/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 220 - Manager/Unrep
- FLSA Status: Exempt - Executive
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State (OSS) is seeking a visionary Chief Information Officer to provide strategic direction and oversight of OSS IT and cybersecurity.
The OSS administers critical programs, with integral IT components, that impact Minnesotans in all 87 counties. The IT teams include elections systems development, business services development, infrastructure and security, and a central projects development team that serves Safe at Home, a statewide address confidentiality program. The CIO will ensure that the OSS is providing modern, secure, and accessible IT systems for Minnesotans now and into the future. This position will drive the planning, operations, and culture for the IT functions of the OSS. The CIO will set future direction, goals and priorities for IT and cybersecurity work and provide a whole-of-office approach to IT in determining project prioritization. These efforts will increase and strengthen IT and cybersecurity collaboration and synchronization across the OSS.
As the senior IT leader, the CIO must have strong executive leadership skills, strategic vision, timely execution, and be a skillful communicator. This ensures a strong and productive working relationship with senior leadership and as critically, OSS IT staff. This position will provide and evaluate IT structure, operations, and services across the divisions of the OSS.
This position offers a flexible hybrid work schedule and potential relocation expense reimbursements.
Bachelor’s degree in Technology Systems, Technology Management, Business Management, or other closely related field of study AND five (5) years of professional experience working in a leadership role that includes managing and leading professional staff, programs, and operations, preferably in the IT field.
Experience must include:
- Directing or coordinating the completion of complex projects including leadership of planning, design, resourcing, procurement or development, and maintenance and operations.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate meetings, negotiate disputes, and to present information and results in a clear and understandable manner to various levels of customers, stakeholders and IT subject experts.
- Ability to successfully lead, implement, and manage teams throughout change.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to communicate highly technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Leadership of projects, operations, or financial planning.
- Strong analytical skills sufficient to identifying IT business needs, strategies, and organizational changes.
- Ability to effectively represent and balance the interests of business programs and agency IT goals and strategies.
- Information security and compliance
- Advanced degree in Technology Systems, Technology Management, Business Administration, or other closely related field of study.
- Ten (10) years or more working in an IT leadership role.
- Experience with the Minnesota elections process.
- Experience in or knowledge of public sector information technology planning, development or procurement, and maintenance and operations.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with government systems, statutes, and rules relating to information technology.
- Experience working with the Federal Bureau of Investigations, Department of Homeland Security, or the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.
- Experience managing complex projects of related to customer facing applications.
- Ability to research, interpret or develop policies and procedures affecting the Office.
- Application lifecycle management, including waterfall and agile methodologies.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past state employees only)
Criminal History Check
Employment Reference Check
Social Security and Address Verification
Driver's License Check
Other Mandated Checks
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply to the MN Careers website http://www.mn.gov/careers Job ID 58617. Applications not submitted through the Careers site will not be accepted.
If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.