The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is seeking to fill a 9-month Laboratory Assistant position. The successful candidate will provide general support for high-volume introductory biology teaching laboratories beginning as soon as a suitable candidate can be found. The successful candidate will provide technical support for high-enrollment introductory biology laboratory courses on the Storrs campus. This position is part of the College's Laboratory Services unit which supports undergraduate laboratory courses. Duties include the cleaning and maintenance of laboratory rooms and associated equipment and assistance with the setup and breakdown of weekly laboratory exercises. The incumbent will need to maintain professional relationships with graduate teaching assistants and will be trained to care for invertebrate animals (insects, arachnids, marine invertebrates) within our insectary facility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cleaning and maintenance of laboratory rooms and associated equipment.
- Assisting with setup and breakdown of weekly laboratory exercises.
- Maintaining professional relationships with graduate teaching assistants
- Caring for invertebrate animals (insects, arachnids, marine invertebrates) within the insectary facility.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field.
- Familiarity with concepts, practices, safety protocols, and standard laboratory procedures in biology.
- Team-oriented individual with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Up to one year of experience.
- Previous experience working in a high-volume academic or related setting.
- Proven ability to solve problems, manage time, and skillfully juggle priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to engage, connect, and work with diverse student, administrative, and faculty populations and provide a commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in an educational setting.
This is a full-time, 9-month, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
During the initial training period, hours will vary. Following the training period, the expected work hours during the academic semesters will be Monday through Thursday from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM, and on Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, which includes one hour for lunch or dinner. During summer and winter breaks, work hours will be from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday through Friday. The incumbent is expected to work flexible hours depending on the departmental course offerings which could include later evening hours.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497270 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 2, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.